Do you have your own storage space in the backyard or you want to rent a unit in a storage facility? Are you looking for a storage unit during a moving process? Finding a quality storage facility is important, and so is keeping your belongings in good shape. Before you contact reliable Florida movers and ask for affordable storage units, take a look at the following guide. Here are some storage maintenance tips you should consider.
Why should you maintain your storage regularly?
Just like maintaining your home on a daily basis, you should make sure your storage space is clean and ready for storing. No matter what type of inventory you put in it, you will have to provide good conditions in order to keep it safe. This is why you should consider regular storage maintenance, especially if you are using it in the long run.
Some of the most important things you should check inside your storage are the following:
- Check the overall state of the unit. Making your unit clean, free of water and mold is very important.
- Checking the doors and locks. With time, these can damage and get rusty. It’s important to maintain them so your storage stays safe.
- Reorganize the space inside the unit. This will allow you to get a bigger picture of how much space you have.
- Get proper cleaning supplies, tools, and other supplies. By adapting your storage unit, you can add more room to it.
Storage maintenance checklist for a limited budget
Your storage maintenance doesn’t have to take a lot of money. For starters, you should make sure that the unit is clean and safe for your inventory. Some small repairs could do wonders and refresh the entire space. Here are some storage maintenance tips you should consider:
- Disinfecting the space. Clean space for inventory keeping is what will keep your belongings safe. This is why you should disinfect your storage before using it, and make sure to clear out all the garbage. Improper conditions caused by harsh weather are bad for your health.
- Taking out old and rusty objects. In case you are keeping your belongings in storage long term, these objects will most likely end up on the floor at some point. Make sure to get rid of them before using the unit.
- Reorganizing inventory. Storage maintenance is not only about repairing the unit. Make sure to inspect your storage unit and check for rusty nails and pieces of glass on the floor. Keeping it tidy will also provide good conditions for keeping your inventory safe.
- Cleaning the floors. Depending on the material your storage floors are made out of, you should get proper cleaning products and take some time to clean them.
- Repairing the walls and the roof. If you are planning low-budget storage maintenance, this might be a difficult task. However, there are some tutorials for easy reparations of smaller holes and breakages that you could handle on your own.
Fixing the exterior
If you have the budget for it, you could repair the entire exterior of your storage unit. In case you have a unit built in your backyard, this might be a good idea. Fixing the exterior of your storage unit doesn’t sound like a priority, but here’s a reason why you should do it. Clean access to your storage space will allow you to load the inventory without trouble. This is why you should remove all weeds, broken pieces of concrete or stone, and other items in front of your storage unit.
Besides these repairs, you should also consider repainting the exterior. This process will not take a long time, and it’s one of the easiest DIY projects on your storage maintenance list.
Upgrading the inside of the unit
Besides keeping the outside looking good and fresh, upgrading the inside of the unit is something you should consider. The best part about maintaining storage is that you don’t have to spend a fortune on it. First, you should think about the type of items you should put in storage. If your inventory is big in size, the best thing to do would be to focus on expanding the space. You could do this by installing separation walls or by adding some floating shelves. Putting an additional cabinet with drawers will help you organize smaller items like files and tools.
After making your storage unit bigger in size and optimizing space, there will be another important thing to do. One of the easiest tasks on your storage maintenance checklist is repainting the walls. Not only will you make your unit look fresher by repainting walls, but you will also get rid of any mold and holes in the walls.
In a need of a temporary rental storage?
Not everyone has the luxury to have their own storage in the backyard. While storage maintenance is important, there are facilities that can do all this work for you. During the moving process, many people look for rental units, whether for short or long-term use. If you’re looking for a temporary storage solution, you should contact a local moving and storage company and ask for further details. Most moving companies provide storage solutions since these units are in high demand. It’s never been easier to look for units of various sizes, shapes, and prices. All you need to do is to find a reliable storage facility near your home and ask a moving company about the details. There are many quality storage units Boynton Beach has to offer. In case you’re looking for one, contact your movers and let them help you choose the best storage unit for your needs.